Saturday, October 15, 2011

Hello loved ones,

It's been a while since I've updated you all, my apologies. Much has happened in the last 10 months.

Most recently, I've been blessed with a new nephew, Gideon. Three little boys now await their aunt, who is very anxious to see them. Many of you already know, Shasta gave birth to twins in June of 2010. One of them, Malachi, has been diagnosed with cerebral palsy. That has been difficult, but she is handling it with grace and determination. He is doing various therapies to help his brain make those missing connections as it develops. She has started a blog at www.outrageousfortune.net.

I also have news about my "pending release," as my mother put it (I love the sound of that). These days, the Feds are almost broke enough to start holding bake sales to buy bombers, as the old saying goes, and they are now letting prisoners serve more of their time in half-way houses and home confinement. It is possible that I could be home as soon as October 2012. Yes! So soon. It would help if I had a job lined up already, so if any of you in Eugene or Portland know someone who might be willing to hire a convicted terrorist, please let me know.

I hadn't been thinking much about my release. I found it easier just to focus on what I'm doing here. But now that my time is coming to an end, it's exciting to think about being in the free world and starting a new life. I look forward to seeing all of you (and meeting some in person for the first time) who have stuck with me through these years.

Having so little time left has given me a push to step up my school work. I recently finished four classes and am mid-way through two more. It's clear I won't have time to complete my degree while I'm here, but I want to get as close as I can. Thank you so much to everyone who has helped pay my tuition. I could not have done it without your support. And I will need it all the more this year so I can register for more classes. If you are willing and able to donate to my education, please send checks to:

Deborah Kearns
PO Box 50307
Eugene, OR 97405
USA

Another development I'm quite excited about: I have been accepted into a group here that does dance performances in the church. My spiritual journey started with dance — moving with the rhythm of the music I felt like I was coming back into realignment with myself and with the world. It brought me a joy I'd never known and continues to teach me to go with the flow of life rather than against it. I feel blessed with this opportunity to now share with others how I have been transformed in such a positive way.

Some of you, I know, are surprised to hear I am involved with the Christian Church. Believe me, no one is more surprised than I am. While I was at Carswell, I spent a lot of time talking to Helen Woodson, a Catholic witness for peace and a long-time prisoner of conscience, about her faith. I was extremely skeptical, having mostly heard bad things about Christianity my whole life, but it opened my mind to want to learn more. After a year of intensive study and attending regular services, I've found a profound truth in Christ-humbleness, selfless service, submission to a universal will for good that is bigger and higher than my individual ego.

No, I am not going to come out of prison an intolerant, holier-than-thou Bible thumper. But, despite the fact that many of you may not understand it, I can't hide or ignore the impact that the Christian Church has had on me here. Life is full of unexpected turns. I pray that, though we may find ourselves in strange territory, we will always be heading in the right direction — towards greater love for each other and all that is.

Be good. Be kind. Be blessed.

Chelsea



1 comment:

  1. I wanted to say it was nice to finally get an update to pass on to those who are unable to read your blogs! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete