Saturday, November 7, 2009

Autumn reflections

Dear friends and family,

Earlier this year, a new inmate e-mail system was installed in my unit and I've mentioned to some of you that I may be able to use it. Unfortunately, after many months of deliberations and reversals by prison administrations from the local to national level, they have decided I will not be allowed access to e-mail.
I'm disappointed. As we all know, e-mail is much more convenient. I was lucky to have it for the few months I was at FDC Sea-Tac (prior to the institution of a new policy).
I know it's an anachronism these days, so I appreciate everyone taking the time to write and send things through the Pony Express. I mean, USPS.
In yet another episode of "My Life as a Convicted Terrorist," I was having a lot of trouble receiving the textbooks for my Buddhist correspondence class, I believe because of new concerns within the BOP regarding religious material that supports terrorism (this following several arrests of suspected terrorists who converted to Islam while in U.S. prisons).
The idea of Buddhist terrorism is pretty ridiculous. The class I'm taking now, in fact, is teaching me how to help others without, whether intentionally or not, causing harm. But I suppose if Muslim materials have to be heavily vetted then mine do, too (another so-called "terrorist" in my unit had the same problem receiving Orthodox Catholic texts).
I filed an administrative grievance and did finally get them, six months after the class started, and I haven't had any problems since. I'm glad because, as I've said probably enough times you're sick of hearing it, the study and practice of dharma has helped me tremendously in dealing with difficult people and situations in prison, for example, confronting hostility with neither aggressiveness nor passivity.
Speaking of difficult people, we went through a particularly rough patch with our unit "problem child" this summer. We spent many hours on emergency lock-down or cleaning up her floods, ruined property and walls smeared with blood and feces. The past couple months have been better, but living with the mentally unstable is always a challenge. The unit demographics are gradually shifting towards more well-behaved "terrorists" and less violent out-of-control disciplinary transfers. But this is the only elevated security unit for federal women prisoners, so, at least for some time, we'll continue to have this weird mix of people.
Many of you know that my mother was hospitalized this year for a serious heart condition. It made me very sad that I couldn't be with her, but it helps to know she has a strong network of support. I appreciate everyone's efforts on her behalf. Being self-employed, she doesn't have health insurance, so it's really brought into focus the need for health care reform. Contrary to the clamor about "socialized medicine," my experience in Canada was that it works a lot better than our for-profit system. Please contact your Congressional representatives and let your voice be heard.
Autumn reminds us that the only constant is change. The weather turns cold, leaves fall, the light fades. Life ebbs and flows. I hope in this season you find the time to rest, reflect, and take comfort in loved ones.
Be well,

Chelsea

"It may be that when we no longer know what to do, we have come to our real work, and that when we no longer know which way to go, we have begun the real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings." — Wendell Berry



No comments:

Post a Comment